PREMIER SPORTS WINS TV RIGHTS FOR NEW UNITED RUGBY CHAMPIONSHIP FOR FOUR YEARS
Every game counts and will be LIVE on Premier Sports in new world-class 16 club league
UK sports broadcaster Premier Sports will show every game LIVE and host more than 100 exclusive rugby fixtures in the new look United Rugby Championship with coverage from every round across five elite rugby nations - Ireland, Italy, Wales, Scotland and South Africa.
Premier Sports has also been awarded TV rights for the Republic of Ireland for the first time in the new era of the game-changing tournament expanding its coverage to bring together live coverage from each round to a wider rugby audience across the UK and Ireland.
Premier Sports will provide exclusive coverage of more than two thirds of the tournament’s 151 games and all the top-billing live rugby action from the United Rugby Championship - as South Africa’s four Super teams Vodacom Bulls, Cell C Sharks, DHL Stormers and Emirates Lions join - providing the most comprehensive live TV coverage available and headlined by world rugby’s leading pundits.
Premier Sports will be the only place to see entire URC tournament from opening weekend at the end of September 2021 to the Grand Final in mid-June 2022 showing up to eight live games very weekend plus live coverage of all the knock-out drama and Grand Final.
Premier Sports has one of the most respected TV talent teams in the business - with a huge depth of knowledge and expertise respected by coaches, players and partners throughout the game with leading figures such as Stephen Ferris, Andrew Trimble, John Barclay, Jim Hamilton, Shane Williams and Tom Shanklin with 399 international caps between them - all involved in the new URC showcase.
The new agreement with URC strengthens Premier Sports position as a leading rugby broadcaster after securing UK and Ireland rights for France’s TOP 14 Rugby as well as adding high profile rugby extras for its customers such as live and exclusive coverage of the IPA Greene King Championship Final. Premier Sports Asia also showcases world-class international rugby including Six Nations, Autumn internationals, Trans Tasman Super Rugby live and Gallagher Premiership.
HEADLINES: PREMIER SPORTS NEW URC BROADCAST AGREEMENT
- From start to finish - the only place to watch all 151 games live for less than £1 a game
- Exclusive coverage of more than 100 URC games across the UK
- Premier Sports will host the most comprehensive live TV coverage of the URC
- Live coverage in the Republic of Ireland for the first time with every game live
- Launch of new and improved OTT Premier Player from start of the new season
- Significantly increased studio coverage with competition wide analysis and insight every week
- Territory specific commentary teams for live games from a talent team with direct knowledge and rugby backgrounds across Scotland, Ireland, Italy, Wales and South Africa
- All Edinburgh and Glasgow Warriors games shown live both home and away. Premier Sports will be the top spot for Scottish club rugby with 34 out of 36 games exclusively live on its channels.
- Every Ulster Rugby game live game plus every Ulster away game exclusively live on Premier Sports
- Every game in Wales live
- Live coverage of every South African and Italian game home and away
- Premier Sports rugby’s established team of experienced presenters, commentators and pundits will be back headlining coverage including: Stephen Ferris, Andrew Trimble, John Barclay, Jim Hamilton, Shane Williams and Tom Shanklin
- Commitment to bring rugby customers the most competitive and highly-contested games of the tournament from all five rugby nations.
Premier Sports has broadcast every one of the 443 live Guinness PRO14 games over the past three seasons with more than a 1,000 hours of live rugby TV coverage successfully delivered for rugby supporters across the UK.
CEO of Premier Sports Richard Sweeney said: “We are absolutely delighted to have secured another four years of exclusive rights with the United Rugby Championship. Premier Sports will be the only place to watch all 21 game weekends per season from opening weekend to the Grand Final with every single game live on our channels. We’ll deliver all the tournament action across all five rugby nations plus host more than 100 live and exclusive games through the season.
“The United Rugby Championship is going to be a fascinating, fresh and exciting new tournament for rugby supporters everywhere to engage with. The stakes will be high, there’s more jeopardy, regional pride to play for, more intense games and a diverse mix of rugby styles and cultures and world-class rugby players on show every week which is going to be great for our TV presentation teams to showcase.
“Aligned with the new opportunities that URC brings, we will be investing significantly, with more extensive panel insight from studio, more cameras and broadening our mix of commentators from relevant territories for live games. We will also be launching a new and improved Premier Player in time for the new season. Premier Sports will once again showcase the most competitive and the compelling games and provide the most comprehensive live coverage of a tournament where every game counts.
“We are really proud of the fact we have the best TV frontline team in the business across Wales, Scotland and Ireland leading our commentary and analysis. We have a talent team that passionately and colourfully frame our live rugby action with real insight, expertise and in-depth rugby knowledge both pitchside and in the studio.”
“Our rugby weekends are going to be packed with world-class live rugby content now that we have the URC and the TOP 14 from France side-by-side - with games featuring the biggest names and most eye-catching players in World Rugby. This is significant for both our rugby customers and sports fans as a whole as we provide a more diverse and extensive range of sports coverage. We will continue to look at new opportunities and hope to have more live rugby to announce to our customers in the near future.”
Premier Sports will be investing further in its live production with increased numbers of cameras at each game and more “wrap around” coverage including more extensive panellist insight pre-game at half-time and post-match. It also launching a new and improved Premier Player OTT option for rugby supporters in time for the new season to allow subscribers to watch all Premier Sports coverage on the go either via the App or online at www.premiersports.com.